DIRECTOR OF EDUCATION
MELLON EDUCATE, SOUTH AFRICA
Mellon Educate is a non-profit organisation aiming to transform under-achieving schools in South Africa through intervention programmes which focus on development and academic improvement, exposing every child, regardless of background, to quality education to help them reach their full potential.
Mellon Educate seeks to appoint a Director of Education on a two year contract whose roles and responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
As the Director of Education, you will
- be the senior leader in the partnering of up to 20 schools in South Africa engaging with principals on an ongoing basis to help lead the school to a higher standard of all-round performance;
- be strong enough to train and implement school management systems, such as K12;
- have proven experience that you have previously been an outstanding school principal in the course of your career, especially to have an ability to turn around under performing schools;
- have access to additional resources above the standard school budget and you will lead innovation and best use of these additional resources;
- be responsible for the overall development and implementation of the Mellon Educate School Management Programme, identifying and co-ordinating the most efficient approach in its rollout;
- lead a development programme that will implement the latest national and international best teaching practices;
- have excellent and proven leadership and inter-personnel skills;
- review the programme on an ongoing basis, participating in long- and short-term development and planning to ensure the delivery is both relevant and of high quality;
- manage the Mellon Educate team of additional education specialists and which schools they are allocated to, dealing effectively with all day-to-day issues and ensuring performance standards are maintained;
- represent Mellon Educate at local and national level, networking and building partnerships with relevant partners;
- keep abreast of development in education and related fields to inform the CEO and Board of Directors.
- have a proven track record in fund-raising or been part of a fund-raising team.
You must have
- managed schools previously as a Head / Principal;
- a Masters Degree in Education, or equivalent qualification;
- a minimum of 15 years experience in the education sector with a good understanding of trends and developments in the education environment, specifically at primary and high school level. Educational NGO experience at senior level would be an advantage.
- a high level of skill in oral and written communications, planning, evaluation and governance.
- excellent leadership qualities with the ability to effectively manage and direct staff;
- some experience in the field of philanthropy, not-for-profit management and governance, and community relations would be an advantage;
- the shared values, mission and vision of Mellon Educate which is to provide excellent education to all pupils, irrespective of their backgrounds.
To apply please submit an updated CV with covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date: __________________
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Should you not hear from Mellon Educate within two weeks of the closing date, please accept that your application was unsuccessful.